Lucy Boston

Thursday, October 22, 2009

scrumptdillyishissness

Applesauce Doughnuts!!!!!!!!
Doesn't that just sound like Autumn weather food?  Applesauce from fresh picked apples, 'cause you know you went to the orchard and got way too many just to eat, and doughnuts are a great treat at any time.  But if you can do the doughnuts with some FRUIT IN THEM, then they are good for you!! Yep, that means it's time to make up some doughnuts!
I remember making applesauce doughnuts before, but I could not find my recipe anywhere.  (I know I made them a year or two ago for after reverse trick-or-treating...but that's a whole different story- watch for a reverse-trick -or-treating post later in the month.)
I looked in my recipe box(es) and in the recipe basket(s).  And I just realized that I may have a disease - RECIPE-ITIS!!! Recipe-itis sounds really badddd! AAAArrrggg, help me!!!, please!!  I have recipes (that I have tried) in at least FOUR different places.  And I didn't even start looking in any of the recipe books.  Maybe someday I'll show you pictures of all my recipe holder places.  That could be the start of a healing process......curing recipitis.
But back to applesauce doughnuts............

Since I didn't see my recipe right off, I searched online and a hit!!! Yea!!! It looks like the (same or very similar) recipe for applesauce doughnuts was recently posted on on this cute blog: check out the farm chicks sometime.  It's just one chick now, I think, but still a great place to visit...(  http://thefarmchicks.typepad.com/farmchicks/. )   Farm chick spells it donuts, but still, I think it's the same scrumptdillyishissness. 
Applesauce Doughnuts:
1 1/4 c sugar
1 c applesauce
3 Tblsp sour cream
2 Tblsp melted butter
Mix together well and wisk in:
2 eggs, well beaten. 
Add dry ingredients:
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
4 1/4 c flour
Mix completely and cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
Mix together the coating (in seperate bowl):
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Remove dough from frige and roll out to 1/2 inch thick on well floured surface.  Cut into doughnut shapes. 
Heat cooking oil to medium high and cook doughnuts to golden brown, turning once.  Remove and cool on paper towelling. 
Dredge the warm doughnuts in the cinnamon/sugar coating.  Plop finished doughnuts onto an oven-safe platter and keep in a warm (200 degree) oven until you finish frying all the doughnuts.  Makes 20.  Serve with fresh apple cider.  Now doesn't that just make your mouth water...and smile?  Scrumptdillyishis!
Now back to quilting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!