Lucy Boston

Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas on New Year's Day

Christmas was again wonderful. 
It was spread over a two week period for us this year.
That, to me, makes it even more wonderful. 
Seeing more family. 
Trying new recipes. 
Seeing more family.
Cooking more food. 
Seeing more family.
Eating more food.
Seeing more family.
Christmas, to me, is not just one day.
Yes, I know the true meaning of Christmas.
And, yes, it is that.  All That.
But I think that it can also be a state of mind.
My first born doesn't necessarily agree with me on this. 
He thinks that Christmas is Christmas and should be celebrated on the 25th.
Christmas IS Christmas.
New Year's day is NOT Christmas in his opinion. 
We should not celebrate Christmas on New Year's day is also his opinion.
He is as sentimental as I, I think. 
He likes traditions as much as I, I think.
Nostalgic may be the right word.
Not in a schmaltzy, corny, or gushy way. 
In a family way. 

So this is the discussion that we decide to agree to disagree. 
I think that he may re-think this when he has own in-laws, the in-law's two, three, or four sets of grandparents, in-law's siblings, two or more work parties, his parents, four sets of grandparents and his sisters' to fit in to One Day of Celebration.
 I agree that it would be nice to be able to see everyone in all the extended family on one day: Christmas Day.

But in all practically, I think we HAVE to split it up and change dates around and celebrate on days that are not Christmas.
Could you imagine???? Having to be ready to see everyone,be ready to be SEEN!, have everything done, BE EVERYWHERE, all at the same time????  The logistics are mind-boggling!!!
I think that if I had to do that every year, I would be an over-emotional, under-emotional, schmaltzy, corny, gushy, outrageous, madcap, harebrained, frantic, fanatical, mess!!!
Well, more than I am now!

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking in on me.  I don't want to get maudlin here, so I'll just say it has been great getting to know all of you here in blogland this year.  I want to thank all of the visitors, commenters, anonymous commenters (that I try to solve the "who"), challenge and fabric swap groups and coordinators, designers, authors and followers.  You all help keep me in stitches in your own way.  Thank you also, for the chance to type away and let some of my creativity flow through cyper-space.
From my home to yours my wish for you is a healthy, happy and abundant New Year.
Happy First Day of Two Thousand and Ten! 
Or is that Happy First Day of Twenty-Ten!?
Oh, no, that is a whole nother can of worms  buttons!

Now to watch a little football, eat a little more, and laugh some more with family that's still in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!