Lucy Boston

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

THE Snowball Quilt Challenge and Bobbins


My method of attack was to wind 4 bobbins at a time.
 And this light just kept coming on on my machine! 
 It wouldn't stop!
I wound 4 bobbins FIVE times for this quilt!!!
First...I enlarged my quilt to be 13 squares by 13 squares.  That should be big enough.
Then...
I strip-pieced all the nine-patch snowball blocks and pressed them well.  Then I cut off all of the corners and added half-square triangles to each of the four corners.  Then I pressed. 
And I pressed.  And I pressed.

Before I forget, I really want to thank Allyson and Nicole again for this great challenge and for getting me to use this book again "Forty Fabulous Quick Cut Quilts by Evelyn Sloppy" (it really is quick-cut, just not necessarily quick put-back-together!!! and I swore last time I used it I would not use it again, which is silly, as there are great patterns in there!) (And, I have really enjoyed working along with everyone doing this challenge, and particularly "meeting" my fabric swap partners!!!-Thanks, gals, it was great to receive all those packages in the mail!!) 

Anyway, after all was pressed, I trimmed, and I trimmed, and I trimmed.  Then I layed out the blocks.  At this point, I decided that it needed to be bigger
ONLY two more rows. 
That's ONLY 26 more blocks!
These went much slower, as I wasn't strip-piecing any more. 
I was sewing 2 1/2 inch squares together.
Now that it is cut, sewn, trimmed, pressed and all laid out and sewn back together in it's larger size...
the backing that was from my stash? ...
Well, you guessed it, it's not big enough
So quilting will have to wait until backing is aquired. 
Or, maybe, I'll do a little more piecing...

1 comment:

  1. Been there, done that...bigger..a word in the quilting world that kills us..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!