Lucy Boston

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Warning!!!

I have been asked for a recipe.
Maybe a bazillion and two times.
The recipe for the bars that I took
to the Shop Hop Preview Party
at the LQS, Always in Stitches.
The recipe that I slaved over. 
That I alluded to being time-consuming to make.
The recipe that wears you out just making them...
Well, they really are quick and easy, ridiculously easy...
BUT,

Let me warn you ahead of time...
ONLY MAKE THESE
IF YOU ARE
TAKING THEM SOMEWHERE!!!
The recipe is called Cinnamon Cheesecake Bars.

Really they should be called:
"Warning, You Will Eat These Until Sick Bars".
Or, "Warning, Ten Pound Gain Ahead Bars".
I'm telling you, the name really should have the word WARNING in it somewhere.
They just have a few ingredients, including those rolled crescents in a tube. 
You do have to turn on the oven, though. 
But don't be afraid. 
They only have to be baked for about half an hour.
They really are SOOOOO easy - just don't hurt yourself when you pop open the rolls.
You know how sometimes you really have to struggle to pop open those containers of crescent rolls?
You peel back the paper and then have to crack the can on the edge of the cupboard, even though the package instructs you to use the tip of a spoon to push at the seam.  The pushing with a spoon never works for me, so I end up beating the roll against the cupboard about ten times.  And then you have to twist and turn to get the rolls out of the package, contorting yourself around the entire kitchen as you twist and turn.
Just be careful, I'm telling you...

So, if you are still interested, here's the scoop:

WARNING:  Cinnamon Cheesecake Bars Ahead
(note that I added the Warning in the name!)
2 Pkg. crescent rolls
2 8-oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
topping:
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter, melted

Layer 1 package rolls into ungreased 9x13" cake pan.
(Pinch seams together and spread well to cover bottom of pan).
Mix next three ingredients together until smooth then spread over crescent layer in pan.
Top with other container of crescent rolls.
(yes you have to open the container and unroll the dough!)
Mix together the topping sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the layers. 
Pour the melted butter over the topping.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cool, then refrigerate.  Slice when completely chilled.

They can be served as is or with a side of fruit topping and a dollop of whipping cream.
For those non-cooks out there:  read fruit topping as pie filling from a can.
(The fruit might be considered part of the daily recommendation of fruit/vegetable, I suppose.  And the whipping cream? Just more decadence.)


This is when the problem starts...
When the WARNING should be applied.
Even if you cut them into very small portions,
the just keep jumping into your mouth
every time you walk by the kitchen!

PS.  If you double the recipe like I usually do, use two cake pans.  I put both recipes out on a large jelly roll pan with 1 inch sides.  Not a good idea.  The dough raises and dumps the sugar/cinnamon/butter over the sides of the pan onto the oven floor and then it burns and smokes the next 3 times you use the oven.

PPS.  I used the low-fat version of rolls and cream cheese in the recipe this time and it was just as good.  Also, I cut back the sugar in the cream cheese mixture by a third, using only 2/3 cup.  I liked it just as well, but maybe a little "cheesier" in flavor.

OK, gals, you have been warned!  Do Not Blame Me if they add poundage to your life!


1 comment:

  1. I copied that recipe as quickly as I could. My mouth is already watering. I will be trying it this week end. I've had something similar and you are right. They must be shared.

    Bless you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!