Lucy Boston

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summertime

that means getting ready for:
weddings.
and pool parties.
and baby showers
and reunions.

I think we are finished with the weddings for this year.

And since the kiddos are grown and gone from the nest (yep, that was a mixed metaphor!), the pool parties have slowed down.  I have a "splash party" many times a week - which involves the pool/exercise walking with a friend or two- the splash coming as we get in!

There is a baby shower (or five) coming up (in the next few months). 
My favorite sonny and his girly are expecting this fall.  (As are four of his best buds from high school or college.)  That's a whole lot of baby quilts and excitement (and I'm trying to contain my excitement - I only have one grandbaby-to-be quilt made so far!!!) 

And there's always at least one summer reunion every year. 
My paternal family meets here at my house annually to "reunion". 
But it's also to see if we can out-do each other in the cooking/new recipe development/gorging ourselves departments.  Also in the tall-story area that usually involves some animal/growing/catching/cleaning/etc.  Also, we've been working on our family history and will share our "underground railroad" findings about a many-great-grandma Sarah and the Rankin House- our own ties to the civil unrest one hundred and fifty years ago.  I'm sure many things have happened in the past year since we've been all together that we just NEED to share!

Back to plotting planning for the reunion!  I need to re-make try a couple of recipes!!!
Here's one recipe that I haven't made for a long time but may have to be in the running for reunion...
BUN CANDY
bottom chocolate-y layer:
  • 12 oz each of semi-sweet and butterscotch baking chips with
  • 18 oz. peanut butter -
 microwave/melt together and spread half of this in a buttered 10 x 15 inch pan and chill.

(To the other half of the chip/peanut butter mixture, add
  • 1 pound of dry roasted peanuts and save for the top chocolate-y/nutty layer.)

Middle white gooey layer-  cook until hot but not boiling: 
  • 1 cup margarine, 
  • 2/3 cup milk,
  • 1 small package of vanilla pudding-NOT INSTANT. 
When it's hot and starting to thicken, remove from heat and stir in a
  • 2 pound bag of powdered sugar. 
Stir well and spread this over the bottom layer chilled chocolate.  Chill again.

Top layer:
Remelt the chocolate/peanut mixture and spread over the top of the white filling.
Chill again - for a couple of hours, then cut and enjoy!
They are rich and a little gooey, but man-oh-man they sure taste like a bun candy bar!!!

AND, I'm sure there are no calories!
Off to bed for me, as I have more stitching to do this week,
along with the recipe-making
and quilt-making
and, oh yea, a little thing called work!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious, Deb!! Maybe I'll have to switch it up the (fruit) Crunch recipe you shared--I take it everywhere!

    Congrats on the new grandbaby!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!