Lucy Boston

Monday, October 28, 2013

end of October fun...

A little rain.
Then some freezing temps,
along with some sleet and snow blowing through the fallen leaves.
Seems like Winter is trying to sneak into late October.
Fun, huh?!?
But I'm not ready for that yet!

I have a little Halloween-y quilt finish to share first:
This little quilt finished 17" by 24"
and I used the disappearing nine patch block method
with a little charm pack of 2 1/2 inch squares. 
These little pre-cuts/charms were from the fabric line BooCrew.
The inner border was an orange scrap from Honey and Me fabrics with little pumpkins.  Outer border is also BooCrew.  The binding was a Lynette Anderson print - kind of a purplish-gray with little web-dangling spiders - too cute! 
I quilted it by hand in a big, freehand spider web design. 
I quilted it using the Utility Stitch (or big stitch) with a ball of
Valdani variegated thread - size 12, color O540.
I love Valdani threads!!! 
Color O540 is a black and green variegate
and just the perfect color for this little mat.
It took longer to finish than I had anticipated because I decided to hand-quilt it. 
But turned out really cute, I think, so totally worth the extra time.

I don't know if you can tell from the pictures,
but I took it outside to photograph. 
The slanting, late October sun and dry leaves tell the story of Autumn in Ohio.

That's some of my end of October fun!
What's happening in your part of the world?

4 comments:

  1. What a cute little quilt! Can you show a closeup of your quilting stitch? I can't make it enlarge on my computer. Thanks, T in TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy as usual deb...my Lucy has been put on hold till Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MJ!! I know the 'busy' part this time of year!
      Can't wait to see what you have done so far on your Lucy. Please email me! - my email is in my profile...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!